Monday, September 8, 2008

Scholarship Made Pretty

I've been working on a fun article recently. Based on a paper I gave at SAM and a few sundry other locations, it takes as its object of study an argument John Cage had in the late 1940s, with the writer Paul Goodman. It's unclear when or where the argument took place, but the subject was the relative merits of Satie and Beethoven. It was sufficiently antagonistic that the two never really spoke again. It seems like a small issue, but it strikes at the heart of lots of important issues in the post-war avant-garde.

Anyways, it's interesting stuff, I promise, but more importantly, it makes a very pretty word cloud via the fascinating web program Wordle, which I discovered thanks to the livejournal pages of a bunch of my friends.


(Sorry for no Gossip Girl liveblogging tonight, I was off at an Eagle Scout awards ceremony for my cousin. Congrats, Eric!)

No comments: