Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bernstein in Virginia

Doing anything this Saturday? Happen to be driving through central Virginia? I'm giving a paper at the fall meeting of the Capital Chapter of the AMS. It's at Randolph-Macon College, and I appear to be speaking at the oddly precise time of 2:50 pm. It's a surprisingly good program overall; I forget that on the east coast, AMS chapters tend to be more vigorous than those in California. (It has to do, I imagine, with the geographic proximity of musicology programs in the East.) My paper is on Bernstein's second symphony, The Age of Anxiety, and more broadly on Bernstein's relationship with the symphonic tradition of Copland et al. This is the first time I'm airing my work on Bernstein in public, so wish me luck.

1 comment:

Rebecca M said...

I hope it was a smashing success! And, I'd love to see a copy if you would be willing...